A FIRM FOUNDATION
Our founding families’ vision in 1945 inspired a legacy of obedience to follow God’s calling for generations to come.
Bethany got its start when the founding families sold their homes, pooled their resources, and purchased a large 30-room home in Minneapolis: the Bethany House. They chose the name “Bethany” because it was a place of rest where Jesus would retreat to with his disciples. The purpose of this community life was to reduce expenses and allow more resources to be allocated to trainng missionaries. In 1946, the families outgrew the house and purchased a large farm property in Bloomington, Minnesota. Since 1948, Bethany’s base of operations and Bethany Global University have remained on this same campus.
Bethany’s primary source of funding through the years has been through business ventures including producing lefse and pancake griddles, camping trailers, wooden toys, and book publishing. Bethany House Publishing, a primary source of income for many years, was sold in 2003. The production of these goods funded the community, the mission college, and supported missionaries. Today, a work-study program as well as donations from individuals, foundations, and churches support Bethany’s training, sending, and partnering efforts.
CELEBRATING 75 YEARS